When choosing a treatment, ask your doctor these questions:
- What are my chances of getting better?
- What are the risks and side effects of this treatment?
- What will this treatment cost?
Treatment options for osteoarthritis include medications, therapies, and sometimes surgery. You and your doctor can choose treatment options based on these factors:
- the type of arthritis you have
- your age
- medication you're taking
- how bad your pain and inflammation are
- your general state of health
To help you prepare to talk with your healthcare providers about which therapy might work best for you, read further on the topics below.
- Are arthritis medications for me?
- Is surgery for me?
- What do I need to know about alternative and complementary arthritis therapies?