Considering Treatment OptionsWhen you have high blood pressure, you need treatment. Without it, you put your health at serious risk. You are the one who plays the most important role in managing your high blood pressure. That is why it's important for you to understand what you need to do and why. When your doctor recommends a new treatment, ask these questions.
- What is the treatment?
- When will treatment start, and how long will it last?
- What are the benefits of treatment, and how successful is it?
- Are there any risks or side effects associated with treatment?
- What foods, drugs, or activities do I need to avoid while I'm on this treatment?
- What lifestyle changes do I need to make so this treatment can be effective?
Your doctor will recommend your treatment for high blood pressure according to:
- how high your blood pressure is
- whether you have coronary heart disease or other risk factors for heart disease
- whether you have damage to your eyes, kidneys, or blood vessels
- whether you are at risk for other medical conditions
Treatment that's right for someone else may not be right for you. Effective treatment to lower your blood pressure is tailored to your health condition and your risk factors.