When selecting a doctor to become your primary health care provider and help you manage your diabetes, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I feel comfortable with this doctor?
- Can I talk with this doctor about all aspects of my health and lifestyle, including sexual problems I may experience?
- Does this doctor really listen and respond to my concerns?
- Does this doctor answer my questions using words that I can understand?
- Does this doctor have the experience and training needed to treat my diabetes?
- Can this doctor refer me to other healthcare professionals I might need?
- Is this doctor available by phone if needed?
- Does he or she have a plan for caring for patients at night and on weekends?
If you answer "NO" to any of these questions, consider looking for another doctor.
Written by award-winning health writer Bobbie Hasselbring
Reviewed by Beth Seltzer, MD
Last updated June 2008