There are many different types of mouth injuries. Follow these steps to administer first aid to the victim of a mouth injury:
- Check for more serious head injuries (see head injury).
- Have the victim sit with their head tilted forward to allow blood to drain.
- Control bleeding:
-Lip: Place a rolled dressing between the lip and the gum. Hold a second dressing against the outside lip.
-Tongue: Press both sides of tongue with gauze or clean cloth without obstructing victim's breathing.
-Gums and roof of mouth: Use direct pressure with gauze or clean cloth.
-Tooth: Place direct pressure on tooth or socket with gauze or clean cloth, or have victim bite down on gauze or cloth placed on tooth or socket.
- DO NOT repeatedly rinse the mouth because this may prevent clotting.
DO NOT let the victim swallow blood because this may cause vomiting.
- If bleeding does not stop or wound requires further care, transport victim to emergency room or dentist's office.
- If tooth has been broken or knocked out, remove knocked-out tooth or fragments, submerge them in milk, and transport them with victim.