Changing Your Point of View
How you respond to what happens around you can pinpoint certain types of distorted thinking patterns. If you don't challenge distorted thinking, it can:
- cause you to view yourself, situations, and the future in negative and pessimistic ways
- intensify any emotional pain you're feeling
- create ongoing depression
Often, distorted thinking becomes automatic. It occurs even when you're not aware of it. The first step in changing your distorted thinking is to become aware of such thinking as it occurs.
What to Do About Unpleasant Feelings
When you have an unpleasant feeling, such as sadness or anger, stop and try to analyze what you're thinking in that moment. Ask yourself:
- What am I thinking right now?
- What am I really telling myself?
- What's going through my mind?
- What do I think about the situation that triggered how I'm feeling?
Consider patterns of distorted thinking and consider ways to correct them.
Learn more about what ails you. Here are some common symptoms.See all »