Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Your Brain Works
- Brain Quiz
- How MRI Works
- How Heart Disease Works
- How Blood Works
- How Atrial Fibrillation Works
- How Aspirin Works
- What is laser clot busting?
More Great Links
- National Stroke Association
- American Stroke Association
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Stroke Alliance for Europe
- Altman, Lawrence K. "The Doctor's World; As in Sharon's Case, Handling of Stroke Has Many Variables." New York Times. Jan. 17, 2006. (July 8, 2008) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.htmlres=9A04E6DA143FF934A25752C0A9609C8B63
- Appel, Lawrence and Rafael Llinas. "Hypertension and Stroke." Johns Hopkins White Papers. 2005.
- Brody, Jane E. "With Strokes, Knowledge is a Lifesaver." New York Times. Dec. 12, 2006. (July 8, 2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/health/12brody.html
- Gerber, Carolyn S. "Stroke: Historical Perspectives." Critical Care Nursing Quarterly. October-December 2003.
- Hafsteinsdottir, Thora B. and Mieke Grypdonck. "Being a stroke patient: a review of the literature." Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1997.
- Healy, Melissa. "Can we limit stroke damage? Because every second counts, patients in a novel study will be treated before they reach the hospital." Los Angeles Times. March 28, 2005.
- Kaufman, Leslie. "A Superhighway to Bliss." New York Times. May 25, 2008. (July 8, 2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/fashion/25brain.html?pagewanted=all
- Kolata, Gina. "A Quandary on Blood Drops in the Brain." New York Times. July 1, 2008. (July 8, 2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/health/research/01microbleeds.html?scp=21&sq=stroke&st=nyt
- Kolata, Gina. "Cost Put a Stroke Treatment Out of Reach, Then Technology Made It Possible." New York Times. May 28, 2007. (July 8, 2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/28/health/28strokehosp.html
- Kolata, Gina. "Lost Chances for Survival, Before and After Stroke." New York Times. May 28, 2007. (July 8, 2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/28/health/28stroke.html?pagewanted=all
- Kopito, Jeff. "A Stroke in Time." MERGINET.com. September 2001. (July 8, 2008)
- Meadows, Michelle. "Brain Attack: A Look at Stroke Prevention and Treatment." FDA Consumer. March-April 2005.
- Perez-Pena, Richard, "Stroke Centers Try to Speed Response Time." New York Times. July 27, 2003. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9404E4DA113FF934A15754C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print
- "Risk of Fatal Stroke is Greatest for Blacks, Government Says." New York Times. Feb. 21, 2003. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE3DD123DF932A15751C0A9659C8B63
- Sternberg, Steve. "Strokes in Children: A Medical Dilemma." USA Today. May 4, 2006. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-05-03-strokes-kids_x.htm
- Tarkan, Laurie. "A Pressing Need for Urgent Care." New York Times. (July 8, 2008) http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-stroke-qa.html
- Thompson, Jesse E. "The Evolution of Surgery for the Treatment and Prevention of Stroke." Stroke. 1996. (July 8, 2008) http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/27/8/1427
- Ward, Elizabeth M. "Stroke: What You Need to Know to Minimize Your Risk of a "Brain Attack."" Environmental Nutrition. February 2003.
- Wartik, Nancy. "Bouncing Back; For Stroke Victims, Rehab Mixes New Ideas and Plain Old Persistence." New York Times. June 21, 2004. (July 8, 2008) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C01E3DE1239F932A15755C0A9629C8B63
- Wheatcraft, Dean. "On the Offensive against Brain Attack." Science & Technology Review. June 1997. (July 8, 2008) https://www.llnl.gov/str/Fitch.html