As overwhelming as the adoption process may seem, there are plenty of resources to get you up to speed. Here are a few:
- Adoptive Families Magazine: The publication's site provides helpful information on the adoption process.
- AdoptUsKids: AdoptUsKids seeks to bring foster and adoptive families and children together, as well as educate the public. This site includes photos of foster children waiting for adoption and informational materials.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway: This comprehensive site is provided through the Children's Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It includes in-depth information in regard to child welfare. It also contains a complete section on adoption -- from the adoption process, adopting special needs children and resources to post-adoption services, information for birthparents and adoption laws.
- North American Council on Adoptable Children: This council emphasizes the adoption of foster children and children with special needs. Visit the site for detailed information on how to adopt, post-adoption support, subsidies and educational materials.
- Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption: Refer to this site for free resources, educational information and details on how the foundation is working on behalf of children in foster care.