As a woman, I've encountered the question of whether it's possible to get pregnant during a period many times. It's one of the most persistent pregnancy myths out there, and as such, I was happy to have the opportunity to bust it. Maybe one of the reasons that it still gets spread around as contraceptive fact is that, yes, it's statistically unlikely to get pregnant during a period. But it's still possible and doesn't negate the potential for contracting sexually transmitted diseases. After all, unplanned pregnancy isn't the only risk that goes along with sexual activity.
And the more myths out there that we can bust about how to have safe, smart sex, the better.Related Articles
- How Menstruation Works
- How Vaginas Work
- Quiz: How much do you know about vaginas?
- How Condoms Work
- How Human Reproduction Works
- American Pregnancy Association. "How do I calculate when I'm ovulating?" Updated March 2011. (Sept. 18, 2012) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/ovulationfaq.htm
- Barton, Jennifer. "Can a Woman Become Pregnant During Her Period?" Parents. (Sept. 12, 2012) http://www.parents.com/getting-pregnant/ovulation/fertile-days/pregnant-period/
- Go Ask Alice! "Sex with period and tampon?" Columbia Health. May 02, 1997. (Sept 18, 2012) http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/sex-period-and-tampon
- Freudenrich, Craig. "How Menstruation Works." HowStuffWorks.com. (Sept. 18, 2012) http://www.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/menstruation.htm
- Hirsch, Larissa. "Can a girl get pregnant on if she has sex on her period?" Nemours Foundation.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. "It's Your (Sex) Life: Your Guide to Safe and Responsible Sex." (Sept. 18, 2012) http://www.kff.org/youthhivstds/upload/MTV_Think_IYSL_Booklet.pdf
- Mayo Clinic. "How to get pregnant." WebMD. April 16, 2011. (Sept. 18, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-to-get-pregnant/PR00103
- ReachOut. "A girl's guide to sex myths." (Sept. 18, 2012) http://us.reachout.com/facts/factsheet/a-girls-guide-to-sex-myths
- Shih, Grace. "Um, can I get pregnant if...?" Bedsider. (Sept. 18, 2012) http://bedsider.org/features/95