Men are hunters and love the thrill of the chase. That's why bars and other hang-outs filled with members of the opposite sex ready to mingle are like playgrounds to them. Part of the hunt includes sending a potential mate signals to let her know she's the one he has his eye on.
For example, a man will stand to try to make himself look taller and more, ahem, erect. He might even put his hands on his hips to appear bigger to become the "alpha male" among his group of friends. He will use his temporary physique to alert the woman he's flirting with that he's the leader of the pack. And of course, women aren't the only ones who care about their physical appearance. A flirting man will suddenly fix his hair, adjust his cufflinks, smooth out his shirt and might even look in the mirror to make sure he doesn't have buffalo wings in between his teeth. More ways men flirt include the following:
- He will slightly raise his eyebrow at her.
- Oops. He might accidentally bump into her on the way to the bathroom or while he's at the bar ordering another drink.
- When he's off the clock, it's time to play. Men like to relax when they're out of the office. So, when he straightens, strokes or pulls on his tie, he is signaling his prospective companion that he's ready for a good time -- with her.
- Another way a man flirts is by moving his chair or body to get closer to really listen to the conversation. A cheeky smile is another clue that he's flirting.
- He will find any old excuse to touch a woman on the arm, back, knee or shoulder or any other body part in a way that's not creepy. If it's done right, it's enough to make the hair on her skin stand up and take notice.
- A man will make sure that his body language is open (women do this too). That means he isn't turned away or crossing his arms like he's uninterested. He's doing the opposite.
While men and women use different signals to attract the opposite sex, sometimes imitation is the highest form of flattery. Let's move to the next section to find out more.