Lots More Information
Birth control has been part of human life since the beginning. But some approaches to preventing pregnancy have been crazier than others.
Author's Note: 10 Completely Wrong Ways to Use a Condom
This article got its start as a misheard word during a meeting – we were really talking about wrong ways to use commas – and it became a running joke. But after hearing a listener ask about wrong ways to use condoms during Dan Savage's "Savage Love" podcast, I realized that "How do you use a condom wrong?" is a legitimate question people are asking. I'm always up for a frank conversation about contraception, and our readers seem to enjoy our articles about the wrong, silly and stupid. It also helped that I'd previously written How Condoms Work.
- AVERT. "Using Condoms, Condom Types and Sizes." (11/13/2012) http://www.avert.org/condom.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Contraception." 9/10/2012. (11/13/2012) http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/unintendedpregnancy/contraception.htm
- Holmes, King et al. "Effectiveness of Condoms in Preventing Sexually Transmitted Infections." Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2004. (11/13/2012) http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/82/6/454.pdf
- Planned Parenthood. "Condom." (11/13/2012) http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/condom-10187.htm
- Sanders, Stephanie et al. "Condom Use Errors and Problems: A Global View." Sexual Health. Vol. 9, 2012. (11/13/2012) http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=SH11095.pdf
- World Health Organization. "Condoms for HIV Prevention." (11/13/2012) http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/condoms/en/index.html