Birth control has been part of human life since the beginning. But some approaches to preventing pregnancy have been crazier than others.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Planned Parenthood Works
- Do you really need to have a period every month?
- How does the morning-after pill work?
- How Sex Works
- How PMS Works
- How Pregnancy Tests Work
- How Childbirth Works
- How Pregnancy Works
- How the Male Birth Control Pill Will Work
- How Menopause Works
- How Egg Donation Works
- If a woman has two wombs, can she get pregnant in both?
More Great Links
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). "The ABCs of Oral Contraceptives." October 3, 2006. (Accessed January 5, 2009)http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr10-03-06.cfm
- Danoff, Dr. Rob. "Medications that Interfere with Birth Control." MSN Health & Fitness. 2009. (Accessed January 11, 2009)http://health.msn.com/health-topics/sexual-health/birth-control/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100138980
- DuraMed Pharmaceuticals. "How Seasonique Works." 2009. (Accessed January 10, 2009).http://www.seasonique.com/Consumer/LearnAboutSeasonique/HowSeasoniqueWorks.aspx
- DuraMed Pharmaceuticals. "How Seasonale Works." 2009. (Accessed January 10, 2009).http://www.seasonale.com/LearnAboutSeasonale/HowSeasonaleWorks.aspx
- Goldzieher J.W., Rudel H.W. "How the oral contraceptives came to be developed." JAMA. Vol. 230. no. 3. pg 421-425.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4606623
- Hatcher, Robert, et al. "Contraceptive Technology." 19th Edition. Thomson Reuters. May 2008.http://www.contraceptivetechnology.com
- Junod, Suzanne White. "The Pill at 40." FDA Consumer Magazine. July-August 2000. (Accessed January 5, 2009)http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/departs/2000/400_word.html
- PBS Online. "American Experience: The Pill." 2002. (Accessed January 5, 2009)http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/index.html
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America. "About Us: History and Successes." 2009. (Accessed January 11, 2009)http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/history-and-successes.htm
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America. "Birth Control Pill." February 9, 2008. (Accessed January 6, 2009)http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-pill-4228.htm
- Speroff, Leon and Phillip D. Darney. "A Clinical Guide for Contraception." 4th Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2005.
- Stein, Rob. "Rule Shields Health Workers Who Withhold Care Based on Beliefs." Washington Post. December 19, 2008. (Accessed January 10, 2009)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/18/AR2008121801556.html?hpid=topnews
- Tiger, Caroline. "10 Myths About the Pill Busted." CNN.com from Health Magazine. March 13, 2007. (Accessed January 5, 2009)http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/13/healthmag.pill/index.html
- Winkoff, Beverly. "The Whole Truth About Contraception." Joseph Henry Press. 1997.
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals. "How Lybrel Works." 2008. (Accessed January 11, 2009).http://www.lybrel.com/works/