And under study for women: Tibolone, already approved in Europe and Australia, may increase vaginal lubrication, arousal level and sexual desire. On the disappointing side, the makers of the male blockbuster drug Viagra recently gave up seeking approval of the drug for female sexual dysfunction because results weren't strong enough to prove it works in women.
Sex Studies — Signing Up
These sexual health studies are currently ongoing in humans. Click on a link for more information about a particular study, including eligibility requirements.
- Low-Dose Testosterone in Improving Libido in Postmenopausal Female Cancer Survivors
- The Effect of 5-Alpha Reductase on Testosterone in Men
- Ginkgo Biloba: Antidepressant-Induced Sexual Dysfunction
- Nerve-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy With or Without Nerve Grafting Followed by Standard Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction in Treating Patients With Localized Prostate Cancer
- Sildenafil in Treating Erectile Dysfunction in Patients With Prostate Cancer
If you are interested in joining these or future studies, visit the National Institutes of Health's ClinicalTrials.gov Web site, and do a search for the type of study that might be right for you.