Lots More Information
About the Authors
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Cosmeceuticals." (Feb. 4, 2012) http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/cosmetic-treatments/cosmeceuticals
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Dermatologists Can Help Separate Fact From Fiction for Sun Exposure, Sunscreen and Vitamin D." Nov. 10, 2009. (Jan. 31, 2012) http://www.aad.org/stories-and-news/news-releases/dermatologists-can-help-separate-fact-from-fiction-for-sun-exposure-sunscreen-and-vitamin-d
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Managing Stress Can Help People Improve Their Skin Conditions." Aug. 4, 2011. (Jan. 31, 2012) http://www.aad.org/stories-and-news/news-releases/managing-stress-can-help-people-improve-their-skin-conditions
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Skin Care on a Budget." (Jan. 31, 2012) http://www.aad.org/skin-care-and-safety/skin-health-tips/skin-care-on-a-budget
- Bauer, Joy. "Eat your Way to Beautiful Skin." (Feb. 4, 2012) http://www.joybauer.com/healthy-living/food-for-beautiful-skin.aspx
- Bouchez, Colette. "23 Ways to Reduce Wrinkles." Feb. 24, 2008. (Jan. 31, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/23-ways-to-reduce-wrinkles
- Bouchez, Colette. "Want Healthy Skin? Feed It Well." Oct. 11, 2004. (Feb. 3, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/want-healthy-skin-feed-well
- County of Lewis Industrial Development Agency. "Vitamins and Minerals." (Feb. 4, 2012) http://www.lcida.org/vitaminsminerals.html
- Harper, Douglas. "Witch Hazel." Online Etymology Dictionary. (Feb. 14, 2012) http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=witch+hazel
- Howard, Amber C., McNeil, Anna K., and McNeil, Paul L. "Promotion of Plasma Membrane Repair by Vitamin E." Nature Communications, Dec. 20, 2011. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.nature/ncomms/journal/v2/n12/full/ncomms1594.html
- Fisher, Gary. J, Varani, James, and Voorhees, John J. "Fibroblast Collapse and Therapeutic Implications." Archives of Dermatology, May 2008. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/144/5/666
- Jaliman, Debra. "The Soy Effect." Nov. 4, 2011. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-skin/2011/11/the-soy-effect.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Human Growth Hormone (HGH): Does It Slow Aging?" Feb. 19, 2011. (Feb. 6, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growth-hormone/HA00030
- Mayo Clinic. "Stress: Constant Stress Puts Your Health at Risk." Sept. 11, 2011. (Feb. 6, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress/SR00001
- Mayo Clinic. "Wrinkle Creams: Your Guide to Younger-Looking Skin." Oct. 12, 2010. (Feb. 4, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wrinkle-creams/SN00010
- Morgenthaler, Timothy. "How Many Hours of Sleep Are Enough?" Dec. 4, 2010. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-many-hours-of-sleep-are-enough/AN01487
- Natural Cancer Institute. "Tea and Cancer Prevention: Strengths and Limits of the Evidence." Nov. 17, 2010. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/tea
- National Institutes of Health. "Vitamin A and Bone Health." Jan. 2011. (Feb. 3, 2012) http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Bone_Health/Nutrition/vitamin_a.asp
- Parnes, Robin Brett. "Antioxidants: What You Need to Know." (Feb. 2, 2012) http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/antioxidant.htm
- Sharecare. "How Are Sleep and Human Growth Hormone (HGH) Linked?" (Feb. 6, 2012) http://www.sharecare.com/question/are-sleep-and-hgh-linked
- Shimer, Elizabeth Bowers. "Healthy Diet, Healthy Skin." June 18, 2011. (Jan. 25, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/acne-care-11/diet-and-skin?page=1
- SkinCarePhysicians.com. "10 Tips: Selecting Age-Fighting Topicals." June 17, 2009. (Jan. 31, 2012) http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/age_fighting_selecting.html
- Thring, Tamsyn SA, Hili, Pauline, and Naughton, Declan P. "Anti-collagenese, Anti-elastase and Anti-oxidant Activities of Extracts from 21 Plants." BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Aug. 4, 2009. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/9/27/abstract
- Thring, Tamsyn SA, Hili, Pauline, and Naughton, Declan P."Anti-oxidant and Potential Anti-inflammatory Activity of Extracts and Formulations of White Tea, Rose, and Witch Hazel on Primary Human Dermal Fibroblast Cells." Journal of Inflammation, Oct. 13, 2011. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/8/1/27
- University of Maryland Medical Center. "Skin Wrinkles and Blemishes -- Treatment." Dec. 30, 2008. (Jan. 31, 2012) http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_professional_resurfacing_procedures_skin_wrinkles_000021_5.htm
- Watson, Stephanie. "Beauty and Skin Care: Vitamins and Antioxidants." Dec. 14, 2010. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/beauty-skin-care-vitamins-antioxidants?page=1
- WebMD.com. "Cosmetic Procedures and Wrinkles." March 6, 2010. (Feb. 1, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/guide/cosmetic-procedures-wrinkles
- WebMD. "Stress Management – Ways to Avoid Stress." April 20, 2011. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/stress-management-avoiding-unnecessary -stress
- WebMD. "Stress Management – Ways to Relieve Stress." April 20, 2011. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/balance/management/stress-management-relieving-stress
Timothy Gower is a freelance writer and editor whose work has appeared in many publications, including Reader's Digest, Prevention, Men's Health, Better Homes and Gardens, The New York Times, and The Los Angeles Times. The author of four books, Gower is also a contributing editor for Health magazine.
Alice Lesch Kelly is a health writer based in Boston. Her work has been published in magazines such as Shape, Fit Pregnancy, Woman's Day, Reader's Digest, Eating Well, and Health. She is the co-author of three books on women's health.
Linnea Lundgren has more than 12 years experience researching, writing, and editing for newspapers and magazines. She is the author of four books, including Living Well With Allergies.
Michele Price Mann is a freelance writer who has written for such publications as Weight Watchers and Southern Living magazines. Formerly assistant health and fitness editor at Cooking Light magazine, her professional passion is learning and writing about health.About the Consultants
Ivan Oransky, M.D., is the deputy editor of The Scientist. He is author or co-author of four books, including The Common Symptom Answer Guide, and has written for publications including the Boston Globe, The Lancet, and USA Today. He holds appointments as a clinical assistant professor of medicine and as adjunct professor of journalism at New York University.
David J. Hufford, Ph.D., is university professor and chair of the Medical Humanities Department at Pennsylvania State University's College of Medicine. He also is a professor in the departments of Neural and Behavioral Sciences and Family and Community Medicine. Dr. Hufford serves on the editorial boards of several journals, including Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine and Explore.
This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. Neither the Editors of Consumer Guide (R), Publications International, Ltd., the author nor publisher take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading or following the information contained in this information. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Before undertaking any course of treatment, the reader must seek the advice of their physician or other health care provider.