Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- 5 Things Your Skin Needs Every Day
- 10 Daily Skincare Essentials
- How Lab-grown Skin Works
- How Face Transplants Work
- How Bedsores Work
- How to Maintain a Skin Barrier
- Is olive oil good for my skin?
- Is a daily shower too much for your skin?
- Does taking an aspirin daily affect your skin?
- Should the weather affect your daily skin care?
- How could an "anti-aging molecule" work?
More Great Links
- Baylor College of Medicine. "Skin Graft" https://www.thehearthospitalbaylor.com/handler.cfm?event=practice,template&cpid=53325
- Calman, Barney. "The burns victim saved by £60K of 'shark skin.'" The Daily Mail. September 14, 2009 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1213003/The-burns-victim-saved-60K-shark-skin.html
- Carson, Stanley N. et al. "Vacuum-Assisted Closure Used for Healing Chronic Wounds and Skin Grafts in the Lower Extremities." Ostomy Wound Management. Volume 50: Issue 3 (October 13, 2009) http://www.o-wm.com/article/2386
- The Massachusetts General Hospital Burn Research Center. "The Development of Artificial Skin" http://www.burnresearchcenter.org/brcpublicwebsite/artificialskin.htm
- Maugh, Thomas H. "Kidney patient's cells used to grow blood vessels in lab." Los Angeles Times. April 25, 2009 http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/25/science/sci-kidney25
- Mayo Clinic. "Bedsores (pressure sores)" http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bedsores/DS00570
- Medline Plus. "Skin graft" http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002982.htm
- The Merck Manual Online Medical Library. "Burns" http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec24/ch289/ch289a.html
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences. "Artificial Skin Fact Sheet" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3021617/
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals. "Split Thickness Skin Graft." http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk/docs%5Cdocuments%5C37.htm
- Scanlan, Matt. "New skin graft eases diabetic foot ulcers." November 21, 1997 http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=350
- Science Daily. "Artifical Skin Manufactured in Fully Automated Process." May 19, 2009 http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090518102959.htm
- Swedish Medical Center. "Skin Graft" http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=af362d97-4f80-4453-a175-02cc6220a387&chunkiid=14862
- Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery. "Biologic and Synthetic Skin Substitutes: An overview" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038402/