A hearty breakfast stops you from reaching for that 200-calorie mid-morning doughnut or muffin, and it also helps thwart that afternoon craving for a bag of pretzels or popcorn.
Here Is Katherine Tallmadge's Favorite (600-Calorie) Breakfast:
- 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats = 150 calories
- 1 cup nonfat milk = 100 calories
- Pinch of salt
- 1 oz. or 1/4 cup of chopped nuts, such as walnuts = 160 calories
Microwave in large bowl for five minutes and leave to cool for one minute. Top with 1 tbsp. brown sugar = 20 calories, or 1 Tbsp. light butter = 50 calories, or 1/2 cup blueberries = 50 calories; 1/2 cup juice = 60 calories
And for Peanut Butter Fans...
- 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter = 180 calories
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread = 160
- 8 oz. of non-fruit, low-fat yogurt = 200 calories
That's only 520 calories, which leaves room for a mid-morning snack of fruit, such as an apple, peach, orange or pear.