- Besides the usual whole, reduced fat, low fat and fat free milk, new products include soy milk, lactose reduced milk, organic milk and acidophilus milk.
- Choices among soy products abound, including vanilla or chocolate-flavored soymilk, soy yogurt and soy cheese.
- Fat free nondairy creamer and half-and-half, both plain and flavored, are now available to lighten and flavor your morning cup of joe.
- Buttermilk contains no butter at all, but is cultured from fat free or low fat milk. It's a great choice for fluffy pancakes and waffles.
- Yogurt is usually low fat, but varies widely in sugar content. Light yogurt contains artificial sweeteners. Look for brands containing active cultures. There's even a portable yogurt for kids.
- Look for lowfat versions of cottage cheese, including 2%, 1% and even fat free. Ditto for the ricotta cheese you add to lasagna and other Italian dishes.
- Butter vs. margarine - Most nutritionists recommend a liquid or tub margarine over either stick margarine (trans fats) or butter (saturated fats).
Copyright 1999-2003 The FoodFit Company All Rights Reserved