high in fat tend to be high in calories, so you should eat smaller
portions of these foods to help achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
In addition, you should limit your cholesterol intake to no more than
300 milligrams per day. Cholesterol is found in all animal products -
but not in plant products. Check food labels to see how much
cholesterol is in the food you eat.
| For the following calorie ranges:|| Limit your fat to this many servings per day:|
|1,200 to 1,600 calories|| 4 to 6|
|1,600 to 2,000 calories|| 6 to 8|
|2,000 to 2,400 calories|| 8 to 10|
Also, use these tips to cut the fat in your diet.
How to Cut Back on Fat in Meats
- Eat only small portions of meat, poultry, and fish. Choose pieces that are no larger than the size of a deck of cards or standard personal checkbook. Better yet, use small pieces of meat for flavoring rather than as a main course.
- Choose lean cuts of meat, such as those with "round" or "loin" in their name.
- Cut off visible fat from meat before you cook it.
- Remove skin from poultry before you eat it.
- Bake, broil, poach, steam, or saute instead of frying.
- Substitute beans and peas for meats in dishes.
How to Reduce Fat From Dairy Products
- Use skim or low-fat dairy products instead of those made with whole milk.
- Choose nonfat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
- Use nonfat sour cream in place of sour cream.
- Limit the amount of cheese you eat. Choose part-skim or reduced-fat varieties.
- Use ricotta cheese made from skim milk, or use nonfat cottage cheese.
- Use light or nonfat cream cheese in place of regular cream cheese.
How to Cut Back on Fats in Butter and Oils
- Cut down on butter, oil, and margarine. Cook in nonstick pans or use fat-free stock, wine, or water for cooking.
- Use small amounts of dressings and condiments such as mayonnaise. Substitute low-fat or nonfat varieties, flavored vinegar, lemon juice, or mustard.
- Skim fat from gravies and soups.