An overactive sweat gland can cause a great deal of embarrassment when splotches of sweat show up on your clothing. The two remedies available on the market are deodorant sticks and antiperspirant sprays. The basic difference between the two is the mechanism or chemical process to counter the problem of perspiration. Antiperspirants use chemicals that block or clog the pores and prevent you from sweating. The active ingredient which clogs your pores is aluminum chloride. Deodorants, on the other hand prevent bacteria from thriving on body parts where you sweat. Although researchers at the National Cancer Institute have done tests on the chemicals in antiperspirants and deodorants and have not found conclusive evidence that they contain cancer-causing agents [source: National Cancer Institute], you may find that commercial deodorant sticks irritate your skin. If this is the case, you might want to try making your own deodorant with natural products. Here are two ways to make deodorant out of natural products.
Cocoa beeswax deodorant
- 10 drops of rosewood essential oil
- 1 ½ ounces (42.5 grams) of beeswax
- ½ ounce (14.2 grams) of cocoa butter
- 1 ounce (28.3 grams) of coconut oil
- Four drops of each of these essential oils: coriander, Spanish sage, and cypress
Here's what you do:
- Melt the cocoa butter and beeswax in a saucepan.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the coconut oil.
- Stir until the contents have melted completely.
- Cool the mixture a bit. It should still be warm and of a liquid consistency.
- Add the essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow it to cool [source: Care Fair].
Baking soda deodorant
Baking soda is a deodorant. Simply apply some baking soda under your arms and you'll feel fresh all day [source: Arm and Hammer]. However, if you prefer applying a scented paste as a deodorant, you can try the following recipe:
- Baking soda
- Essential oil
Here's what to do:
- Put some baking soda in a bowl.
- Mix in drops of an essential oil of your choice until you get a thick consistency. Be sure to mix together the ingredients well.