Like HowStuffWorks on Facebook!

10 Items Every Safe, Healthy Home Should Have

Carbon Monoxide Detector

A carbon monoxide detector
A carbon monoxide detector
Stockbyte/Getty Images

Carbon monoxide (CO), the tasteless, odorless, invisible gas, can be a threat in any home. Furnaces, room heaters, fireplaces, stoves, grills, or even cars left running in garages may cause unsafe levels of carbon monoxide. Luckily, there are relatively inexpensive alarms that measure CO in the home and alert you if your home contains unsafe levels. But these shouldn't be a substitute for keeping all appliances in good shape. If your alarm beeps, even if you believe it may be a mistake, open all windows, and if the beeping continues, call your local fire department.