Review the following "Questions to Ask" about polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your health care professional.
1. How much experience do you have diagnosing and treating PCOS? If you don't have a lot of experience, can you recommend a specialist?
2. How long will it take to see effects from my medications? How dramatic can I expect the effects to be?
3. What are the side effects of these medications? How can I spot them early?
4. How do you feel about prescribing insulin sensitizers?
5. I don’t want to take birth control pills. What alternatives can you recommend?
6. Is it safe to conceive on these medications? What steps should I take if I decide I want to get pregnant?
7. Can you recommend any lifestyle changes that might make a difference in my condition? How big a change can I expect to see?
8. For my skin color and type, what is an optimal hair-removal method?
9. How does PCOS affect my other health conditions?