What kind of healthcare professionals do I need?

Your first stop in finding treatment for your nasal allergies is your primary care doctor. Your doctor may refer you to an allergist.

Your Primary Care Doctor

This is your so-called regular doctor whom you see for most of your health concerns. Here's what your primary care doctor can do for you.

  • help resolve your symptoms
  • rule out other problems that might be causing your symptoms
  • give you a referral to an allergy specialist if you need one

Many insurance plans require that you see your primary care doctor first.


An allergist is a doctor who has an extra 2 to 3 years of training in the diagnosis of allergies and asthma and in immunology. Board-certified allergists have passed a rigorous exam given by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology. While board certification isn't a guarantee that this is the right doctor for you, it does mean the allergist has met the advanced licensing requirements of the specialty.

More to Explore