Your doctor bases his or her diagnosis of osteoarthritis on the following:
- your current symptoms
- your personal medical history
- your family's medical history
- a physical exam, possibly including lab tests
Since the symptoms for many types of arthritis are similar, your doctor will carefully study this information to make a solid diagnosis for you and to determine the most appropriate treatment.
- What side effects of arthritis medication should I watch for?
- Arthritis Physical Exam: What is my doctor looking for?
- Am I at risk for osteoarthritis?
- How much should I exercise to help my osteoarthritis?
- What do I need to know about alternative and complementary arthritis therapies?
- Does stress affect my arthritis?
- What causes arthritis symptoms?
- What does arthritis feel like?