What kinds of healthcare professionals do I need for high blood pressure?

In most cases, your high blood pressure can be treated by your family doctor. This may include a doctor who specializes in family practice, internal medicine, or cardiology. Your doctor may work with a team of professionals to help you control your blood pressure. This team may include dietitians, nurses, nurse practitioners, and physician's assistants.

You may see a dietitian to help you learn how to eat a healthy diet that is low in fat and low in salt so that you can lose weight. Nurses in your doctor's office may check your blood pressure when you have an appointment with your doctor. They may also check it between doctor visits. In addition, you may see nurse practitioners or physician's assistants who work closely with your doctor. These professionals may provide most of your routine care for high blood pressure.



If your blood pressure is difficult to control, your doctor may send you to a kidney specialist. This type of doctor is called a nephrologist. If your blood pressure is caused by a medical condition, you may need to see other specialists. For instance, if a hormonal problem causes your high blood pressure, you may need to see an endocrinologist.

Related Articles