Lots More Information
- Why do trans fat and saturated fat get such a bad rap?
- What are statins?
- What's more likely -- death by an auto accident or death by French fries?
- When do most heart attacks occur -- and why?
- What exactly happens during a heart attack?
- How can alcohol be good for your heart?
- Is the cure for heart disease one carrot away?
- Would a fat tax save lives?
- How Cholesterol Works
- How Heart Disease Works
- Blood Quiz
- Heart Health Quiz
More Great Links
- American Heart Association. "About Cholesterol." April 3, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2008) http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=512
- American Heart Association. "Know Your Fats." July 17, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2008) http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=532
- American Heart Association. "Your Heart and How it Works." (Aug. 25, 2008) http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1557
- "Blood Cholesterol (HDL & LDL)." (Sept. 29, 2008) http://www.exrx.net/Testing/LDL&HDL.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "About High Blood Cholesterol." Nov. 8, 2007. (Sept. 29, 2008) http://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/about.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Cholesterol: Facts and Statistics." Nov. 8, 2007. (Sept. 29, 2008) http://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/facts.htm
- Cohen, David E., M.D., Ph.D. "Cholesterol Metabolism and the Concept of Dual Inhibition." Lipids Online. (Oct. 2, 2008). http://www.lipidsonline.org/slides/slide01.cfm?q=ldl+receptor&dpg=1
- Freeman, Mason W., M.D. and Junge, Christine. "The Harvard Medical School Guide to Lowering Your Cholesterol." McGraw-Hill. 2005. http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Understanding_Cholesterol.htm
- Gordon, Jerry, Ph.D. "How Cholesterol Works." HowStuffWorks.com. April 1, 2000. (Sept. 29, 2008) https://health.howstuffworks.com/cholesterol.htm
- Medline Plus. "Fat." May 8, 2008 (Sept. 29, 2008) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002468.htm
- Roizen, Michael F., M.D., and Mehmet C. Oz, M.D. "YOU: The Owner's Manual." HarperCollins. 2005.
- Schafer, Elisabeth, Ph.D., and Diane Nelson. "Cholesterol in Your Body." Iowa State University of Science and Technology. (Sept. 29, 2008) www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/NCR332.pdf
- WebMD. "Heart Disease Health Center." (Aug. 25, 2008) http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-heart-attacks