To get the most from your treatment, you need to communicate with your doctor and other members of your healthcare team. Tell them about any trouble you have making changes to your diet or exercise routine. Give them the details about any symptoms you have. Also discuss any problems you are having with taking the medicines the way you are supposed to take them. Ask them to explain anything you don't understand about your medicine or any aspect of your treatment.
Follow these additional guidelines to make sure you get the most benefit while working with your team.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. If there is something that you don't understand, ask.
- Take part in the decisions about your treatment, so you will feel more in control.
- Keep your appointments and be on time for them so that you get the full benefits of your time with your doctor.
- Discuss with your doctor any aspect of your treatment plan that concerns you.
- Tell your doctor if you're not able to change your diet, increase your exercise, or take your medicine as directed. Your doctor may be able to make adjustments or suggestions that will help. Your doctor may recommend that you see a dietitian or an exercise specialist to help you reach your goals.
- Be honest and open. Don't try to hide what is going on in your life, such as your daily habits. What you do each day can affect how well your medicines work and other aspects of your treatment. Your honesty helps keep you safe and helps your doctor work with you for the most effective care.