Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- What are statins?
- How are sleep and heart disease related?
- What's more likely -- death by an auto accident or death by French fries?
- Is the cure for heart disease one carrot away?
- What determines the rhythm of your heart?
- What's the difference between angioplasty and coronary bypass surgery?
- Top 5 Foods for a Heart Healthy Diet
- Is quitting smoking contagious?
- How Congestive Heart Failure Works
- Heart Health Quiz
- What is a heart bypass operation?
- How Heart Disease Works
- How Your Heart Works
- How Aspirin Works
- How Blood Works
- How does a blood pressure gauge (sphygmomanometer) work? What is blood pressure?
More Great Links
- "DNA strands might predict heart disease." msnbc.com. Jan. 12, 2007. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16599586/
- "Early Growth Patterns Can Predict Heart Disease." bio-medicine.org, 2008. http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/Early-Growth-Patterns-Can-Predict- Heart-Disease-5402-1/
- "Heredity as a Risk Factor." americanheart.org. 2008. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4610
- "New Risk Factor for Heart Disease Identified in Very Young Children, According to Study at American Heart Association Scientific Sessions." cincinnatichildrens.org. 2007. http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2007/07-risk-heart.htm
- "Overweight in Children." americanheart.org. 2008. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4670
- "Plasma C-reactive protein concentrations in relation to 5-year body weight change among children: the Taipei Children Heart Study." International Journal of Obesity. 2008. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n6/full/0802274a.html
- "Simple Blood Test May Promise New Way to Predict Heart Disease." labtestsonline.org. July 10, 2001. http://labtestsonline.org/news/crp010710.html
- "Study points to obese children's high danger of adult heart disease." ky3.com. Dec. 5, 2007. http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2007/12/5648/overweight-adolescents-projected-have-more-heart-disease-young-adulth
- Edelson, Ed. "Gene Variant May Predict Heart Disease, Stroke." The Washington Post. Feb. 2, 2007. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp- dyn/content/article/2007/02/02/AR2007020201200_pf.html
- Gardner, Amanda. "Telomere Length May Predict Heart Disease Risk." The Washington Post. Jan. 11, 2007. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp- dyn/content/article/2007/01/12/AR2007011201652_pf.html
- Woolston, Chris. "C-Reactive Protein: A New Predictor of Heart Disease." cvshealthresources.com. 2008. http://www.cvshealthresources.com/topic/creactive