Use a system to help you remember to take your medicine.
To get the best effects, you need to take your medicine as directed. It can also be unsafe to forget to either take a dose or to take too many doses. Here are some ways to remember to take your medicine on time.
- Take your medicine at the same time every day.
- Link taking your medicine with another event. For instance, you might take your medicine when you eat or after you brush your teeth each morning.
- Use a special pillbox that divides your pills into days of the week and times of the day. A quick look at the box can tell you if you've taken your medicine. Some pillboxes come with alarms you can set. Ask your pharmacist about this technique first, though. Some medicines, such as nitroglycerin, need to stay in their original containers.
- Use a medicine calendar to check off each time that you take your medicine.
- Put your medicines where you'll see them.
- Carry your medicine with you so that you'll have it when it's time for a dose.
- Use a watch or clock with an alarm. Set it to remind you when you need to take your medicine.