Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Your Heart Works
- How Your Lungs Work
- How Your Kidneys Work
- How Blood Works
- How Ultrafiltration Works
- How Vasodilator Drugs Work
- How Fluid Overload and Edema Work
- How Orthopnea Works
- How Jugular Venous Distension Works
- How Heart Failure Affects Quality of Life
- How Inotropic Drugs Work
- How Diuretics Work
- How Low-Sodium Diets Work
More Great Links
- Anavekar NS, McMurray JJ, Velazquez EJ, et al. Relation between renal dysfunction and cardiovascular outcomes after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1285-1295.
- Bibbins-Domingo K, Lin F, Vittinghoff E, et al. Renal insufficiency as an independent predictor of mortality among women with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;44:1593-1600.
- Chittineni H, Miyawaki N, Gulipelli S. et al. Risk for acute renal failure in patients hospitalized for decompensated congestive heart failure. Am J Nephrol. 2007;27:55-62.
- Damman K, Navis G, Voors AA, et al. Worsening renal function and prognosis in heart failure: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Card Fail. 2007;13:599-608.
- De Santo NG, Cirillo M, Perna A, et al. The kidney in heart failure. Semin Nephrol. 2005;25:404-407.
- Forman DE, Butler J, Wang Y, et al. Incidence, predictors at admission, and impact of worsening renal function among patients hospitalized with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:61-67.
- Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D, et al. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1296-1305.
- Hall WD. Abnormalities of kidney function as a cause and a consequence of cardiovascular disease. Am J Med Sci. 1999;317:176-182.
- Heywood JT, Fonarow GC, Costanzo MR, et al. High prevalence of renal dysfunction and its impact on outcome in 118,465 patients hospitalized with acute decompensated heart failure: a report from the ADHERE database. J Card Fail. 2007;13:422-430.
- Hostetter TH. Chronic kidney disease predicts cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1344-1346.
- Obialo CI. Cardiorenal consideration as a risk factor for heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2007;99:21D-24D.
- Smith GL, Lichtman JH, Bracken MB, et al. Renal impairment and outcomes in heart failure: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:1987-1996.
- Wencker D. Acute cardio-renal syndrome: progression from congestive heart failure to congestive kidney failure. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2007;4:134-138.