Easy Steps to Prevent or Relieve GERD Symptoms:
- Eat small meals.
- Don't recline, lie down, or bend over after eating.
- Elevate the head of your bed 6 inches.
- Avoid foods that cause your symptoms.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Wear loose clothing around your waist.
- Maintain or get down to your ideal weight.
- Find effective ways to manage stress in your life.
- Take your medications as prescribed.
Regardless of how mild or severe your GERD is, or whether or not you have complications, making lifestyle changes is still a key part of your treatment plan, going hand-in-hand with prescribed medications. If you only make lifestyle changes, GERD may continue to interfere with your quality of life and cause lasting damage to your esophagus. Together, however, lifestyle changes and medications may relieve or even eliminate your symptoms.