An effective treatment plan should do the following:
- treat headache attacks quickly and effectively or decrease their frequency or severity
- fully restore your ability to function
- encourage you to take control of your headache management
- have minimal or no side effects
You can get a great deal of relief for your headaches. But you need to remember 2 things:
- The difference between success and failure depends a great deal on how active a role you take in managing your headaches.
- The more you understand your headaches, their symptoms, and their triggers, the greater your chances are for success.
Together, you and your doctor can develop a treatment plan that addresses all aspects of your headaches - both their triggers and their symptoms. But then it's up to you to follow that plan and stay with it to get the relief you need.