The final piece of the puzzle for modern nurses, combining attentiveness and communication, is advocacy. "Nurses improve the patient's quality of life, and help the patients have their voices heard as to what's important to them," says Cheryl Stowe, a registered nurse with Partners Health care at Home.
Hudson recalls one student with an elderly patient who appeared disoriented. The nurse learned that the patient spoke to her daughter and sister every day, and she asked them to remind the patient to drink water every time they talked on the phone.
"With just that one little intervention, by just listening to that patient, she found out what the patient did every day," says Hudson. "And just a week later, the patient wasn't confused any longer. And part of that was they found out she was dehydrated."
The advocacy role also includes educating patients about their individual situation, and encouraging them to be assertive in requesting appropriate care.
"We are the patient's advocate," says Karzouniaris. "We try to make them knowledgeable. Sometimes you have to go the extra mile. It's just part of the job. It's inherent. And it doesn't matter how long it takes. The job needs to be completed."
- Allen, Diane R.N. Chief Nursing Officer, Concord Hospital, Concord, N.H. Personal interview. April 19, 2012
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. "Nursing Shortage." AACN.com. Updated, April 2, 2012 (April 22, 2012) http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/fact-sheets/nursing-shortage
- Donahue, Patricia, PhD, R.N. "Nursing The Finest Art - An Illustrated History." NursingPower.Net (April 22, 2012)
- Dreifus, Claudia. "Doctor Leads Quest for Safer Ways to Care for Patients." New York Times. March 8, 2010 (April 21, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/science/09conv.html
- Heacock, Sue R.N., MBA. "10 Principles All Great Nurses Follow." NurseTogether.com. (April 21, 2012) http://www.nursetogether.com/Career/Career-Article/itemId/1879/10-Principles-All-Great-Nurses-Follow.aspx
- Hudson, Krysia R.N. Instructor, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing. Adjunct professor, Johns Hopkins University School of Medical School, Baltimore, MD. Personal interview. April 18, 2012
- Karzouniaris, PatR.N. Partners Health care at Home. Personal interview. April 24, 2012
- Stowe, Cheryl R.N. Partners Health care at Home. Personal interview. April 24, 2012
- Winter, Ryan. "Top 10 Traits Every Nurse Should Have." Soliant Health. April 6, 2009 (April 18, 2012)
Right to Try may be a terminally ill person's last hope, but is it the best idea? HowStuffWorks looks at the law.