"Dirty Jobs" host Mike Rowe could easily create a spin-off of the popular program. He could call it "Vile Style," and he'd never have to travel farther than the nearest hospital. Nurses could provide all the disgusting insights necessary because they're experts on all things nasty. It's not just bedpans and incontinence issues they see. It's bodily fluids of every imaginable sort and all sorts of things that the human eye can't see.
Look at the bottom of a nurse's shoe under the microscope and you'll likely lose your breakfast -- creating another mess she'll likely clean up. Is it really that bad, you ask? Consider that one unnamed nurse is quoted as saying she doesn't even bring her shoes into the house when she arrives home from work [source: RD.com].
Nursing is a valuable and vital profession, but it's not for the faint of heart or for those who simply think they look good in white. By the way, if you've noticed, they don't often wear white anymore -- remember: It can get vile.
- College Crunch. "Being a Nurse: Skills You Should Have." March 9, 2009. (April 6, 2012) http://www.collegecrunch.org/advice/being-a-nurse-skills-you-should-have/
- Courchane, Claire. "With Nurse Shortage Looming, America Needs Shot in The Arm." June, 6, 2011. (April 1, 2012) http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/6/with-nurse-shortage-looming-america-needs-shot-in-/?page=all
- Head Nurse. "Things They Don't Tell You in Nursing School." March 27, 2008. (April 6, 2012) http://head-nurse.blogspot.com/2008/03/things-they-dont-tell-you-in-nursing.html
- Kuokkanen, Liisa, MNSc RN PhD, Helena Leino-Kilpi, PhD RN. "The Qualities of An Empowered Nurse and the Factors Involved." Journal of Nursing Management. Sept. 2001. (April 6, 2012)
- Reader's Digest. "50 Secrets Your Nurse Won't Tell You." April 6, 2012 http://www.rd.com/slideshows/50-secrets-your-nurse-wont-tell-you/?v=print
Right to Try may be a terminally ill person's last hope, but is it the best idea? HowStuffWorks looks at the law.