Author's Note: How Hospice Works
Hospice is one of those concepts we think we understand until it comes knocking on our door. Although there is always room for improvement and expansion of services, I was overwhelmed by the depth of medical and emotional care that was provided to my family during the hospice period. If there's no hope left for recovery, at least there is a way to die comfortably and with dignity.
More Great Links
- American Sleep Association. "What is Sleep Deprivation?" 2017 (Feb. 17, 2017) https://www.sleepassociation.org/sleep/sleep-deprivation/
- CaringInfo. "The Hospice Team." 2017 (Feb. 18, 2017) http://www.caringinfo.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3357
- Crossroads Hospice and Palliative Care. "The Crossroads Hospice ultimate gift program." 2017 (Feb. 17, 2017) https://www.crossroadshospice.com/patient-care-programs/ultimate-gifts/
- Mastrojohn, John, Telephone interview, February 15, 2017. Executive vice president, NHPCO.
- Medicare.gov. "Medicare Hospice Benefits." 2017 (Feb. 18, 2017) https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02154.pdf
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO). "NHPCO's Facts and Figures: Hospice Care in America." 2015 edition (Feb. 18, 2017) http://www.nhpco.org/sites/default/files/public/Statistics_Research/2015_Facts_Figures.pdf
- NHPCO. "History of Hospice Care." 2017 (Feb. 18, 2017) http://www.nhpco.org/history-hospice-care
- NHPCO. "Medicare Hospice Conditions of Participation." 2017 (Feb. 17, 2017) http://www.nhpco.org/sites/default/files/public/regulatory/Nursing_tip_sheet.pdf
- Raymer, Mary. "The Role of Social Work in Hospice and Palliative Care." Help Starts Here. 2017 (Feb. 18, 2017) http://www.helpstartshere.org/health-and-wellness/death-and-dying/the-role-of-social-work-in-hospice-and-palliative-care.html
- Stanford University School of Medicine, "Where Do Americans Die?" (March 22, 2017) https://palliative.stanford.edu/home-hospice-home-care-of-the-dying-patient/where-do-americans-die/