Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks looks at how stool softeners work and what you can do instead to avoid getting stopped up in the first place.
Author's Note: 5 Realities of a Post-antibiotic World
I was sitting at my kitchen table working on this article when my visiting brother-in-law complained of a mild sore throat and found a bottle of unused antibiotics in our medicine cabinet. As I watched him pop a pill knowing he probably had no infection and certainly had no intention of finishing the entire course, I wanted to shout out "Noooooooo!"
It's a funny thing – we're all in this together, but when it comes down to it and we don't feel good, we want a quick fix and don't want to think about the long-term effects of the choices we make. Writing this piece made me want to step up more and do my part in keeping the bacteria from developing drug resistance. Live a healthy lifestyle to keep infection away, try to fight off illness without drugs as long as is feasible, and then when I do take antibiotics, finish the whole course.
- American Chemical Society International Historic Chemical Landmarks. "Discovery and Development of Penicillin." 1999. (Oct. 16, 2014) http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/flemingpenicillin.html
- Blue, Laura. "The End of Antibiotics?" Time magazine. Aug. 16, 2010. (Oct. 7, 2014) http://healthland.time.com/2010/08/16/the-end-of-antibiotics/
- Borel, Brooke. "The Age of Antibiotics is Over." Popular Science. July 7, 2014. (Oct. 7, 2014) http://www.popsci.com/article/science/age-antibiotics-over
- Borrell, Brendan. "Phage Factor." Scientific American. Vol. 307, no. 2. pp. 80-83. August 2012.
- Boseley, Sarah. "Are you ready for a world without antibiotics?" The Guardian. Aug. 11, 2010. (Oct. 7, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/aug/12/the-end-of-antibiotics-health-infections
- Cotter, Paul. D.; Ross, R. Paul; Hill, Colin. "Bacteriocins – a viable alternative to antibiotics?" Nature. Vol. 11. pp. 95-105. February 2013.
- Fernbro, Jenny. "Fighting bacterial infections – Future treatment options." Drug Resistance Updates. Vol. 14. pp. 125-139. 2011.
- Izadpanah, A.; Gallo, R.L. "Antimicrobial Peptides." Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Vol. 52. pp. 381-390. March 2005.
- Kane, Jason. "FRONTLINE asks: Has the age of antibiotics come to an end?" PBS Newshour. Oct. 22, 2013. (Oct. 7, 2014) http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/frontline-asks-has-the-age-of-antibiotics-come-to-an-end/
- Kuchment, Anna. "Trapping the Superbugs." Newsweek. March 13, 2010. (Oct. 16, 2014) http://www.newsweek.com/trapping-superbugs-123251
- McArdle, Megan. "How Superbugs Will Affect Our Health Care Costs." The Atlantic. June 14, 2011. (Oct. 15, 2014) http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/06/how-superbugs-will-affect-our-health-care-costs/240454/
- Walsh, Fergus. "'Golden Age' of Antibiotics 'set to end'." BBC News Health. Jan. 8, 2014. (Oct. 7, 2014) http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25654112