Author's Note: How Human Head Transplants Could Work
More than any other article I've written for HowStuffWorks, this one has really gotten me thinking. The idea of this surgery seemed so outlandish to me. As I did my research and learned that a doctor is ready to actually make an attempt at executing it, I couldn't stop thinking of all the potential implications of what would happen if it were successful. Would society ever allow such a thing to occur? And if we did, what rules would be drawn up to dictate what would be OK?
More Great Links
- American Academy of Neurological & Orthopaedic Surgeons. "Sergio Canavero, MD." (June 3, 2015) http://aanos.org/meetings/next-meeting/sergio-canavero-md/
- Borgens, RB. "Cellular engineering: molecular repair of membranes to rescue cells of the damaged nervous system." Neurosurgery. Volume 49. Issue 2. Pages 370- 378. 2001.
- Canavero, Sergio. "HEAVEN: The head anastomosis venture Project outline for the first human head transplantation with spinal linkage (GEMINI)." Surgical Neurology International. Volume 4. Pages S335-S342. 2013.
- Donate Life North Carolina. "Chris Henry Story." November 2010. (May 26, 2015) https://www.donatelifenc.org/content/chris-henry-story-8-min-cbs
- Elliot, Danielle. "Human head transplant is "bad science," says neuroscientist." CBS News. July 2, 2013. (May 20, 2015) http://www.cbsnews.com/news/human-head-transplant-is-bad-science-says-neuroscientist/
- Gaglioti, Anne, Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Personal correspondence. June 4, 2015.
- Gift of Life Donor Program. "Understanding the Organ Transplant Waiting List." (June 3, 2015) http://www.donors1.org/patient/waitinglist/
- Griffin, Andrew. "Head transplant: Russian man to become first to undergo pioneering and controversial surgery." The Independent. April 8, 2015. (May 20, 2015) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/head-transplant-russian-man-to-become-first-to-undergo-pioneering-and-controversial-surgery-10162639.html
- Hamblin, James. "How to Perform a Head Transplant." The Atlantic. July 5, 2013. (May 20, 2015) http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/how-to-perform-a-head-transplant/277519/
- Konstantinov, Igor E. "At the Cutting Edge of the Impossible: A Tribute to Vladimir P. Demikhov." Texas Heart Institute Journal. Volume 36. Issue 5. Pages 453-458. 2009.
- National Health Service Choices. "Organ Donation — What Can Be Donated." Nov. 24, 2014. (May 28, 2015) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Organ-donation/Pages/Definition.aspx#tissue
- Ren, Xiao-Ping; Song, Yang; Ye, Yi-Jie; Li, Peng-Wei; Han, Ke-Cheng; Sen, Zi-Long; Shan, Ji-Gang; Luther, Kristin; Yang, Bao-Feng. "Allogenic Head and Body Reconstruction: Mouse Model." CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics. Volume 20. Pages 1056-1060. 2014.
- RT. "Revolutionary: Russian man to undergo first head-to-body transplant." April 10, 2015. (May 20, 2015) http://rt.com/news/248473-transplant-head-body-canavero/
- Sample, Ian. "First full body transplant is two years away, surgeon claims." The Guardian. Feb. 25, 2015. (May 20, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/25/first-full-body-transplant-two-years-away-surgeon-claim
- Stevens, Edmund. "Russia's Two-Headed Dog: How Shavka Joined Brodyaga." Life Magazine. pp. 79-82. July 20, 1959.
- Webb, Adam, Assistant Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Emory University School of Medicine. Personal interview. May 20, 2015.