Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How are sleep and heart disease related?
- What's more likely -- death by an auto accident or death by French fries?
- Is the cure for heart disease one carrot away?
- What determines the rhythm of your heart?
- Is quitting smoking contagious?
- How Heart Disease Works
- How Your Heart Works
- Heart Pictures
- Heart Health Quiz
- How Congestive Heart Failure Works
- How Aspirin Works
- How Blood Works
- How does a blood pressure gauge (sphygmomanometer) work? What is blood pressure?
- What is open heart surgery and a bypass operation?
More Great Links
- "Angioplasty & Stents Combat Coronary Artery Disease." medicalmoment.org. Nov. 1, 2005. http://www.medicalmoment.org/_content/treatment/nov05/366479.asp
- "Angioplasty more cost-effective than bypass surgery for some men." American Heart Association. Sept. 11, 2006. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3041920
- "Angioplasty Proves Reasonable Alternative to Bypass Surgery." revolutionhealth.com. March 31, 2008. http://www.revolutionhealth.com/articles/angioplasty-proves-reasonable-alternative-to-bypass-surgery/hd-614050?ipc=B00520
- "Angioplasty vs Bypass Surgery - Pros and Cons." Medhelp.org. 2008. http://www.medhelp.org/forums/cardio/messages/32087.html
- "Better Survival Rates With Bypass Surgery Than Angioplasty in High-Risk Patients." clevelandclinic.org. April 29, 2004. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/news/archive/2004/survival4_29.aspx
- "Coronary artery disease: Angioplasty vs. bypass surgery?" Mayo Clinic, Dec. 11, 2007.http://www.revolutionhealth.com/articles/coronary-artery-disease-angioplasty-vs.- bypass-surgery/52ABD89B-E7FF-0DBD-1417DAEB1C72968E
- "Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics." American Heart Association. 2008. http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1200078608862HS_Stats%202008.final.pdf
- "New Angioplasty Procedure Proving More Effective." Sciencedaily.com. Dec. 28, 2006. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061114185206.htm
- "Surgery for Heart Disease: Angioplasty vs. Bypass Surgery." Johns Hopkins Medicine. 2008. http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/heart_health/263-1.html
- "What Are Stents, How Do They Work, And When Are They Used?" ABC News, Feb. 6, 2008. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartDiseaseTreatment/story?id=4224800
- Cheng, Maria. "Bypass better than stents in long term." Associated Press, Sept. 1, 2008.http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i- cGd49k2fuTonngZZ9KCow022qgD92TTMF80
- Michaels, Andrew G, MD and Chatterjee, Kanu, MD. "Angioplasty Versus Bypass Surgery for Coronary Artery Disease." American Heart Association. 2002.http://www.circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/23/e187