Many healthcare experts believe a combination of psychotherapy and antidepressant medication is the most effective treatment for depression. Combined therapy works for many people. In fact, more than half of those who try combined therapy say they feel better in 4 to 6 weeks.
Will Combined Therapy Help Me?
Note which of the following statements apply to you. The more that apply, the more likely combined therapy will work for you.
- My depression is severe.
- My depressive episodes keep coming back.
- I still feel depressed even though I've taken antidepressant medication.
- I still feel depressed even though I've been through some therapy sessions.
- I often have symptoms even between depressive episodes.
- I'm interested in trying combined therapy.
If you decide on combined therapy, make sure your therapist and the doctor who prescribes your medication work together closely. Also see What Do I Need to Know If I Take Antidepressants? and What Do I Need to Know If I'm in Psychotherapy?