Considering Treatment Options
When choosing a treatment, ask your doctor these questions.
- What are my chances of getting better?
- What are the risks and side effects of this treatment?
- What will this treatment cost?
Depression is treated with one or more of the following:
- medication (This may include antidepressants alone or antidepressants used in combination with anti-anxiety or sleep medications.)
- a combination of medication and psychotherapy
- electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) (This is a severe treatment used only for resistant depression.)
- light therapy for seasonal affective disorder
Remember, if the first treatment you and your doctor choose doesn't work for you, it can be changed. There are many treatments available, and chances are good that you'll find an effective treatment. See How Much Will Treatment Help Me? to learn more about how effective treatment is.