Author's Note: How Hoarding Works
Hoarding is a fascinating disorder to me for a few reasons. First, it's weirdly familiar to us, since it's rooted in natural behaviors we all exhibit. I think everyone at some point feels that strange attraction to material things. Plus, it's a bit unsettling to hear the echo of incredibly distant evolutionary adaptations and recognize in humans the behaviors found on far-off cladistic branches. But it's also incredible to watch our understanding of a disorder change and unfold. As frustrating as it is that we don't understand hoarding enough to cure it, research and the experience of therapists keeps bringing us closer.
- Anderson, SW. "A neural basis for collecting behaviour in humans." Brain, Jan. 2005.
- Arkowitz, Hal and Lilienfeld, Scott. " Hoarding may have evolutionary origins." Salon, Sept. 6, 2013. (Nov. 20, 2017) https://www.salon.com/2013/09/06/hoarding_may_have_evolutionary_origins_partner/
- Ayers, CR et al. "Age at onset and clinical features of late life compulsive hoarding." International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Feb. 2010. (Nov. 20, 2017) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19548272
- Bergstrom, TC. "On the evolution of hoarding, risk-taking, and wealth distribution in nonhuman and human populations." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, July 2014. Nov. 20, 2017. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4113914/
- Duenwald, Mary. "The Psychology of...Hoarding." Discover, Oct. 1, 2004. (Nov. 20, 2017) http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/psychology-of-hoarding
- Frost, RO and Gross, RC. "The hoarding of possessions." Behavioral Research and Therapy, May 1993. (Nov. 20, 2017) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8512538
- Gothelf, D et al. "Obsessive-compulsive disorder in patients with velocardiofacial (22q11 deletion) syndrome." American Journal of Medical Genetics, April 2004.
- Hale, Lisa. Founding Director of the Kansas City Center for Anxiety Treatment. Email interview, Nov. 15, 2017.
- Herring, Scott. "Collyer Curiosa: A Brief History of Hoarding." Criticism, Spring 2011.
- New York Daily News. "Inside the Collyer brownstone: The story of Harlem's hermits and their hoarding." (Nov. 20, 2017) http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/collyer-brothers-brownstone-gallery-1.1187698?pmSlide=1.1187676
- Park, Madison. "Drowning in junk: Hoarding called a public health issue." CNN, Aug. 5, 2010. (Nov. 20, 2017) http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/07/29/hoarding.mental.behavior/index.html
- Pittsburgh Press. "Langley kept faith with bother to the end, died under junk near him in their 'castle'." April 9, 1947. (Nov. 20, 2017) https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19470409&id=plMbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=10wEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4740,2938272
- Samuels, J et al. "Significant linkage to compulsive hoarding on chromosome 14 in families with obsessive-compulsive disorder: results from the OCD Collaborative Genetics Study." American Journal of Psychiatry, March 2007. (Nov. 20, 2017) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17329475
- Samuels, Jack et al. "Prevalence and Correlates of Hoarding Behavior in a Community-Based Sample." Behavioral Research and Therapy, June 2008. (Nov. 20, 2017) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2483957/