Teach Personal Acceptance
Accepting yourself isn't always easy, even for adults, but teaching self-acceptance may be the most important way to affect a child's well-being. Guide the children in your life to love who they are and celebrate their uniqueness.
"We all have insecurities," explains Dawes. "But we need to get over them and not allow them to limit us in our lives."
She suggests working with your child to help him or her be aware of negative thoughts. As she explains, no one hears your thoughts but you; however, they can control your emotions and actions. Help your child think about what he or she is saying with those thoughts. Give those negative thoughts the boot and replace them with thoughts of self-confidence and healthy life choices.
Dawes doesn't leave adults out of the mix either. Thought control applies to you, too. The only one who has control of your thoughts is you. By being aware of your own thoughts, you'll allow positive messages to enhance your emotions, actions and, ultimately, parenting.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "How much physical activity do children need?" May 10, 2010. (Aug. 24, 2010)
- Dawes, Dominique. Personal Interview. Aug. 20, 2010.
- Discovery Health. "Discovery Health's Adventures in Parenting Week Spotlights Daunting Challenges Faced By Extraordinary Families." Aug. 16, 2010. (Aug. 22, 2010)
- Dominique Dawes. (Aug. 22, 2010) http://www.dominiquedawes.com
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. (Aug. 23, 2010) http://www.fitness.gov/
- Let's Move! (Aug. 23, 2010) http://www.letsmove.gov/
- PBS Parents. (Aug. 23, 2010) http://www.pbs.org/parents/
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. (Aug. 22, 2010) http://www.fitness.gov/
- Sesame Street. (Aug. 23, 2010) http://www.sesamestreet.org/
- Sesame Street. (Aug. 23, 2010) http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_player/-/pgpv/videoplayer/0/9a084b34-77f1-4120-9bb7-72f2eb7e3f53/froggy_jumps
- United States Department of Agriculture's MyPyramid.gov. (Aug. 23, 2010) http://www.mypyramid.gov/
- United States Department of Agriculture's MyPyramid.gov. "Inside the Pyramid" (Aug. 22, 2010) http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html
HowStuffWorks looks at the new American Academy of Pediatrics advice about spanking children.