Mel Gibson & Oksana Grigorieva
In April 2009, actor Mel Gibson scandalously showed off his new love Oksana Grigorieva on the red carpet. What's so scandalous about it? Mel and his wife of 28 years, Robyn, had just filed for divorce two weeks prior, and Oksana was pregnant with Mel's child.
In November 2009, their daughter Lucia was born.
Scandal dogged the couple, and the flames fanned higher after Lucia was born. In January 2010, Oksana accused Mel of physical abuse. She also went on to allege that Mel had physically abused his ex-wife (a claim denied by both Mel and Robyn). In the following months, Oksana, now Mel's ex-girlfriend, accused Mel of both hitting her in the face and threatening to kill her -- and had audio tapes to prove the abuse. During this time, the two settled on an out-of-court child support agreement. Over? Not even close. Oksana sought a new settlement. Mel accused Oksana of extortion. A judge handed out restraining orders to both and confiscated the audio tapes for examination. At this time, no custody settlement has been reached.
- AOL News. "Dwyane Wade's Divorce Takes Ugly Turn." Jan. 18, 2009. (April 8, 2011)http://www.aolnews.com/2009/01/18/dwyane-wades-divorce-takes-ugly-turn/
- CBS News. "Britney's Meltdown." 2008. (April 8, 2011)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/20/entertainment/main2495238.shtml
- CBS News. "Judge Orders Britney To Turn Over Kids." Oct. 1, 2007. (April 8, 2011)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/01/entertainment/main3316291.shtml
- CNN. "After two years, Britney has had enough." Nov. 7, 2006. (April 8, 2011)http://articles.cnn.com/2006-11-07/entertainment/spears.divorce.reut_1_kevin-federline-jayden-james-sean-preston?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ
- CNN. "Pamela Anderson says she has hepatitis C." March 20, 2002. (April 8, 2011)http://articles.cnn.com/2002-03-20/entertainment/pamela.anderson.hepatitis_1_liver-disease-hepatitis-viral-infection?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ
- Cohen, Sandy. "Lucia Gibson: Mel Gibson's Eighth Child." The Huffington Post. Nov. 2, 2009. (April 8, 2011)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/02/lucia-gibson-mel-gibsons-_n_342574.html
- Comcast Xfinity Entertainment. "Worst Celebrity Custody Battles." (April 8, 2011)http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/entertainment-starcustodybattle/
- Daily Mail. "Reunited: Pamela Anderson moves back in with Tommy Lee ten years after divorce." June 13, 2008. (April 8, 2011)http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1026175/Pamela-Anderson-Tommy-Lee-years-divorce.html
- Darst, Elizabeth. "Pam Anderson Loses Round in Custody Battle." People. Dec. 19, 2001. (April 8, 2011)http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,623240,00.html
- Gray, Keturah. "Alec Baldwin on Divorce, Children and Reconciliation." ABC News. Sept. 19, 2008. (April 8, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=5832850&page=1
- Kaufman, Gil. "Britney Spears / Kevin Federline Custody Arrangement Extended." MTV News. Sept. 25, 2009. (April 8, 2011)http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1622333/britney-spears-kevin-federline-custody-arrangement-extended.jhtml
- Lee, Ken. "Mel Gibson and Oksana Grigorieva: Why Their Custody Battle Went Nuclear." People. July 16, 2010. (April 8, 2011)http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20402847,00.html
- Marikar, Sheila. "Gabriel Aubry: Another Bad Apple for Halle Berry?" ABC News. Feb. 2, 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/halle-berrys-latest-blunder-gabriel-aubry/story?id=12813387
- Munzenrieder, Kyle. "Dwyane Wade Asks for Sole Custody of Kids, Says Ex Is 'Unstable, Dishonest, Unbalanced'." Riptide 2.0. The Miami New Times. 2010. (April 8, 2011)http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/03/dwyane_wade_asks_for_sole_cust.php
- Munzenrieder, Kyle. "Dwyane Wade Divorce Allegations: Ex Has Wacky Religion and Got STD From an Affair." Riptide 2.0, The Miami New Times. March 31, 2010. (April 8, 2011)http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/04/dwyane_wades_divorce_allegatio.php
- Newsweek. "When Stars Split Up." 2008. (April 8, 2011)http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2008/12/10/photos-notorious-celebrity-child-custody-battles.html
- Radar Online. "Case Summary: Gabriel Aubry vs. Halle Berry." Feb. 16, 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://www.radaronline.com/photos/image/114735
- Radar Online. "Request for Dismissal of Family Law Case -- Gabriel Aubry." Feb. 8, 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/Halle%20Berry%20Dismissal_1.pdf
- Reynolds, Tim. "Dwyane Wade Wins Custody Battle For Two Sons." The Huffington Post. March 13, 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/13/dwyane-wade-custody-battle_n_835101.html
- Tedmanson, Sophie. "Mel Gibson debuts Russian girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva." The Times. April 29, 2009. (April 8, 2011)http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/celebrity/article6189904.ece
- U.S. Census Bureau. "Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2011. International Statistics." 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2011/tables/11s1335.pdf
- Weiss, Shari. "Oksana Grigorieva, Mel Gibson ex, won't be charged with extortion." NY Daily News. March 10, 2011. (April 8, 2011)http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-10/gossip/28692396_1_oksana-grigorieva-extortion-case-source
HowStuffWorks looks at the new American Academy of Pediatrics advice about spanking children.