Making Assumptions About the Future
It's easy to let your guard down once you've survived an initial challenge but, unfortunately, there are many more issues you'll encounter. You endure the sleepless nights of infancy and the tantrums associated with toddlerhood and, lo and behold, they start driving and dating and you discover the previous challenge was easy by comparison.
That's not to say you should continually stress about the future -- that doesn't benefit anyone -- but planning and anticipating future needs can help you better adapt to the inevitabilities ahead. Take for example, your retirement. If those children are your sole focus, you can be left on a financially barren island once they're out of the house, out of college and married. Assuming that your life will be easier in the future is a good way to guarantee that it'll be tougher. It pays to plan.
Life as the parents of multiples can be intensely rewarding, but there's no denying that it's challenging and difficult, as well. Knowing what those challenges are can help you better handle them.
- Borba, Michelle Dr. "The Challenges and Joys of Raising Twins." Jan. 7, 2012. (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.micheleborba.com/blog/2012/01/07/the-challenges-and-joys-of-raising-twins/
- Case, Laura. "Divorce, Marital Problems and Multiples." How Do They Do It? May 26, 2009. (Feb. 12, 2012) http://howdoyoudoit.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/divorce-marital-problems-and-multiples/
- Laut, William and Sheila Laut. "Raising Multiple Birth Children." Sept. 25, 1999. Chandler House Press. (Feb. 12, 2012)
- Pepper, Leslie. "How Does She Do It?" Parents. (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.parents.com/baby/twins/raising/family-with-multiples/
- Raising Twins. "Newborn Twins -- Getting Acquainted With Your Babies." (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.raising-twins.com/newborn-twins.html
- Swenson, Michael. Personal Correspondence. Feb. 16, 2012
Are more people having multiples? Find out what's behind the multi-baby phenomenon and find out if people are having more multiples.