How to Report Life Changes for the Affordable Care Act

What Qualifies as a Life Change for the Affordable Care Act?

You may be eligible for a special enrollment period if you have a life change. This lets you purchase your private insurance outside of regular enrollment, or change your plan.

The ACA considers the following events "life changes":

  • Change in family status: Divorce, marriage, having a baby, adopting a child
  • Moving: Moving to a new coverage area with access to different health plans
  • Change in citizenship status: Becoming a U.S. citizen or national
  • Indian tribal status: Gaining tribal status
  • Loss of regular coverage: Losing job-based coverage, loss through divorce, COBRA expiration, aging out of parent's plan, losing student plan after graduating college
  • Domestic violence victim: If you are a victim of domestic abuse and previously could not enroll separately from your spouse
  • If already enrolled in coverage through the ACA: Any change in income, profession, or household status
  • Special circumstance: Extraordinary medical condition or natural disaster that prevented you from enrolling during the standard enrollment period

There may be other, more complex situations making you eligible for a life change, such as leaving incarceration. Check with the Health Insurance Marketplace to see if you qualify.

If you do qualify for a life change, you must report it. Keep reading to find out how.