How to Report Life Changes for the Affordable Care Act

Reporting Life Changes for the Affordable Care Act (ACA)

Typically, you have 60 days from your qualifying life event to report it to the ACA. However, you should report it as soon as possible. You may only report life changes online or by phone.

To report changes online, log in to your account at the health insurance marketplace website. Select your application, and choose "Report a life change." The program may ask you to upload documentation to prove your life change, like a marriage certificate or divorce decree. Ensure you have your documents in electronic format and ready to upload. The website will walk you through the process.

Once you report a life change, you'll receive a notice telling you if you qualify for the special enrollment period and if you're eligible for lower costs on your existing plan. If you do qualify for the special enrollment period, you can then enroll online or by phone.

If your tax credit has changed, you can't change plans, but you can adjust the amount of the credit you want to apply to your monthly premium. And remember, if your life change includes a change of name or address, remember to update your profile information as well.

More to Explore