Positive Pregnancy Test
Seeing is believing, and nothing is as definitive as a seeing that positive result on your home pregnancy test. These tests work by detecting the hormone hCG, produced by the placenta, and found in a woman's urine. They're over 99 percent accurate when the instructions are followed carefully.
"Home pregnancy tests are comparable [in accuracy] to urine pregnancy tests used in clinical settings when used properly," wrote certified nurse-midwife Regis [source: Regis].
Though uncommon, it's still possible for the test to be wrong and show a false-negative or false-positive result [source: Mayo Clinic]. If you've taken more than one home pregnancy test and gotten conflicting results, the Mayo Clinic recommends making a doctor's appointment.
Want to know more? We've got lots more information below.
- Dyne, Pamela et al. "Bleeding During Pregnancy Causes." eMedicineHealth. Dec. 6, 2005. (April 27, 2011)http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pregnancy_bleeding/page2_em.htm
- HON Foundation. "Cardiovascular System Changes During Pregnancy." June 25, 2002. (April 28, 2011)http://www.hon.ch/Dossier/MotherChild/preg_changes/circulation.html
- Mann, Denise. "8 Early Signs of Pregnancy." WebMD. July 1, 2010. (April 20, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/8-early-signs-of-pregnancy
- Mayo Clinic. "Home pregnancy tests: Can you trust the results?" Oct. 30, 2010. (May 17, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/home-pregnancy-tests/PR00100
- Mayo Clinic. "Symptoms of pregnancy: What happens right away." Feb. 19, 2011. (April 20, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptoms-of-pregnancy/PR00102
- Regis, Sonja, Certified Nurse Midwife, Northside Women's Specialists in Atlanta, Ga. Personal interview. April 22, 2011.
- Ripton, Nancy. "Pregnancy and Nursing Bras." Just the Facts Baby. Oct. 21, 2008. (April 29, 2011)http://www.justthefactsbaby.com/pregnancy/article/pregnancy-and-nursing-bras/54
- Stoppler, Medical, M.D. "Pregnant or Not? How To Know." MedicineNet.com. Dec. 15, 2009. (April 21, 2011)http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=46675
- Ward, Elizabeth M. "Coping with Pregnancy Food Cravings." WebMD. June 1, 2006. (April 28, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/coping-with-pregnancy-food-cravings
- WebMD. "Pregnancy and Conception." Dec. 20, 2009. (April 28, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/understanding-conception
- Women's Healthcare Topics. "Frequent Urination During Pregnancy." 2011. (April 28, 2011)http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/preg_frequent_urination.htm
Is it possible for a woman to get pregnant when she's already pregnant? HowStuffWorks looks at superfetation.