Ask any pregnant woman and she'll tell you the same thing: Growing a baby is tiring. Therefore, sleep is essential for a woman's general outlook on life, health and hormonal balance [source: National Sleep Foundation]. Even if you weren't a napper before getting pregnant, chances are you'll become one during that first trimester. There's nothing wrong with listening to your body and laying down for a 20-minute power nap when you need one. You don't even have to fall asleep. Resting can have similar benefits to sleep. This way, you'll have plenty of energy when it comes to spending time with your partner, decorating the nursery, getting exercise and going to work [source: Haiken].
- American Pregnancy Association. "Alcohol and Pregnancy: What You Should Know." May 2011. (Aug. 11, 2011) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/alcohol.html
- American Pregnancy Association. "Smoking and your Baby: Need Help Putting Down That Cigarette?" 2000-2011. (Aug. 12, 2011) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/smoking.html
- Haiken, Melanie. "Importance of Sleep." Blue Cross Ma. 2011. (Aug. 8, 2011) http://www.bluecrossma.com/living-healthy-babies/pregnancy/about-mom/sleep.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Pregnancy nutrition: Foods to avoid during pregnancy." May 28, 2011. (Aug. 10, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-nutrition/PR00109
- Medical News Today. "Pregnancy and Alcohol -- How Much is Safe?" Oct. 27, 2007. (Aug. 8, 2011) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86887.php
- National Sleep Foundation. "Pregnancy and Sleep." (Aug. 8, 2011) http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/pregnancy-and-sleep
- Science Daily. "Poor Diet During Pregnancy May Have Long Term Impact on Child's Health." July 1, 2008. (Aug. 12, 2011) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080630200951.htm
- The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. "Exercise During Pregnancy." 2003. (Aug. 10, 2011) http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp119.cfm
- United States Department of Agriculture. "Choose My Plate." Aug. 9, 2011. (Aug. 12, 2011) http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). "Smoking and Your Lungs." 2003. (Aug. 12, 2011) http://www.upmc.com/HealthAtoZ/patienteducation/Documents/SmokingLungs.pdf
- WebMD. "Exercise During Pregnancy." 2005-2011. (Aug. 10, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/exercise-during-pregnancy
- WebMD. "Smoking During Pregnancy." 2005-2011. (Aug. 10, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/baby/smoking-during-pregnancy
- WiseGeek. "How does Smoking Affect the Cilia?" 2003. (Aug. 12, 2011) http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-smoking-affect-the-cilia.htm
When trying to get pregnant, a woman should consider eating a healthier diet. See what types of foods and vitamins are best when trying to get pregnant.