With just 21 weeks to go (it may seem like a long time, but you'll be pushing before you know it), you may want to push some issues to the forefront. Just a handful of points to start or continue thinking about in week 19 include:
- Weight gain -- This really is a must, and by week 19, you've hopefully gained at least 8 to 14 pounds. If not, get on it by increasing your intake of nutritious food. Don't forget to indulge yourself every now and then, too: A couple of cookies every day is a lot healthier than eating an entire box when you just can't resist any more.
- Remedies -- With your growing physical discomfort, you may be thinking about help in the form of prescription, over-the-counter or herbal remedies. Always check with your doctor. Some drugs (whether you need a prescription or not) aren't safe for you now -- even if they're herbal.
- Sleep problems (and solutions) -- Your growing front side might mean your sleep time is shrinking. It can be hard to get comfortable as your shape changes. Try sleeping on your side and propping a pillow under your belly, or hug a body pillow. You need your rest.
- Day care -- It's important to discuss practical matters like this well before the time comes to enact them. Make sure you and your partner are on the same page regarding work, childcare and help at home. It's not something you want to leave for later on.
- Nursery preparations -- Five months seems like a long time, but if you're ordering furniture, you may be waiting many weeks for delivery. And then you have to find the time to assemble it. Start looking now, and if you plan to register or create wish lists, get going on that. You may find it's a wonderful way to pass a sleepless hour.
And finally, what not to spend much time thinking about, if you can help it …