At this point in your pregnancy, you're probably used to getting unsolicited advice and questions from random strangers every time you set foot outside. And by now you're also probably pretty good at letting it all roll off your back -- most people only have the best intentions when they're asking about your pregnancy (although we hope you haven't been subjected to too much belly-touching).
For some reason, the commentary often seems to center around how you're carrying -- people seem to enjoy predicting the sex of your baby based on how high (or low) they deem your belly to be. And when you're obviously in the final stretch, everyone and their mother will be trying to figure out if you've dropped.
So what, exactly, is dropping? Otherwise known as lightening, it's when the baby settles into the pelvis with its head in position for birth. This, of course, can be a sign of impending labor -- but it can also happen weeks before you give birth. So, if you've dropped at 35 weeks, don't panic if anyone predicts that you're about to go into labor. And conversely, don't worry if you haven't dropped yet. You might be pretty uncomfortable with the baby under your ribcage and putting pressure on your diaphragm, but when he drops, that pressure moves to your bladder. So it might be better if the little man waits till the last minute!
For more information about pregnancy, check out the links below.
- American Pregnancy Association. "35th week of Pregnancy." (June 14, 2011) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/weekbyweek/week35.htm
- Baby Center. "Your Pregnancy: 35 Weeks." (June 14, 2011) http://www.babycenter.com/303_35-weeks_1615717.bc
- Baby Zone. "35 Weeks Pregnant: Breastfeeding Basics." (June 14, 2011) http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/week/article/35th-week-pregnancy-pg1
- iVillage. "35 Weeks Pregnant: Pregnancy Week-by-Week Guide." Sept. 11, 2007. (June 14, 2011) http://www.ivillage.com/30-weeks-pregnant-pregnancy-week-week-guide/6-a-144785
- Kids Health. "Pregnancy Calendar: Week 35." (June 14, 2011) http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/pregnancy_calendar/week35.html
- Parenting. "3rd Trimester: Week 35." (June 14, 2011) http://www.parenting.com/pregnancy/timeline/third-trimester-week-35
- WebMD. "Pregnancy and Signs of Labor." (June 19, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/baby/labor-signs
- WebMD. "Your Pregnancy Week by Week: Weeks 31-35." (June 14, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/your-pregnancy-week-by-week-weeks-31-35
- What to Expect. "That Nesting Instinct During Pregnancy." (June 19, 2011) http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/labor-and-delivery/preparing/nesting-phase.aspx
- What to Expect. "Week 35 of Pregnancy." (June 14, 2011) http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week-35.aspx