People are probably coming out of the woodwork with advice on how to kick-start the labor process, but you shouldn't feel like you have to expend your energy on any of their theories. The truth is that there's no hard-and-fast proof for any nonmedical labor-induction method. Your doctor or midwife might recommend having sex (it's good for relaxation, and there is some evidence that hormones in semen can stimulate the cervix), but the rest of them are merely old wives' tales. Bottom line, you'll go into labor when you're ready, so the best thing to do is rest and let nature do its thing.
Try to think of this week as bonus time -- you've done all the running around, preparations and worrying. The nursery's done (we hope), baby supplies are at the ready and you have stockpiles of meals in the freezer (right?). If you work outside the home, you might be on maternity leave already, so there's really nothing you can do but sit back and try to relax. Watch a triple-feature of mindless movies. Lie on the couch and stare at the ceiling. Do whatever you can to keep calm and comfortable.
Well, that's it -- in no time you'll have your baby, and all the waiting will be over. And it will have all been worth it.
If you want more info about pregnancy and babies, take a look at the links below.
- Baby Center. "Your Pregnancy: 41 Weeks." (June 22, 2011) http://www.babycenter.com/303_41-weeks_1615723.bc
- Baby Zone. "41 Weeks Pregnant: Your Fourth Trimester." http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/week/article/last-week-of-pregnancy
- Doheny, Kathleen. "Labor Induction Boosts C-Section Risk." Medicine Net. June 22, 2010. (June 22, http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/womens-health/articles/2010/06/22/labor-induction-boosts-c-section-risk
- iVillage. "41 Weeks Pregnant: Pregnancy Week-by-Week Guide." Sept. 11, 2007. (June 22, 2011) http://www.ivillage.com/41-weeks-pregnant-pregnancy-week-week-guide/6-a-144796
- Mayo Clinic. "Inducing Labor: When to Wait, When to Induce." (June 23, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/inducing-labor/PR00117
- WebMD. "Can Labor Be Induced Naturally?" (June 22, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/baby/inducing-labor-naturally-can-it-be-done
- What to Expect. "Week 41 of Pregnancy." (June 22, 2011) http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week-41.aspx