Pregnant women once avoided massage during the first trimester for fear of miscarriage. However, certified prenatal massage practitioners now use the art to help women ease the effects of morning sickness -- as long as the women aren't actively nauseous during the massage. The first step is identifying your "wellness window," whether it's a particular day of the week or even just as few hours when you feel more rested and less sick. Many practitioners who specialize in working with pregnant women understand the flexibility that's required to keep an appointment during the first trimester.
Pregnancy massage can decrease the severity of morning sickness because the practitioner concentrates on specific areas known to reduce nausea. These include the center of the breastbone and the protruding bone on the inside of the ankle. When combined with overall tissue stimulation, massage also reduces anxiety and increases circulation -- two things that can boost feelings of physical wellness. Just remember to drink extra water to help flush any toxins your tissues may release after massage. You'll be less stressed and better equipped to face the duration of your pregnancy, which ends with the best gift of all: your baby.
- American Pregnancy Association. "Prenatal Massage: Massage During Pregnancy." (April 10, 2011)http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/prenatalmassage.html
- American Pregnancy Association. "Surviving Morning Sickness." (April 8, 2011) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/survivingmorningsickness.html
- Baby Center. "Does Vitamin B6 Help Relieve Morning Sickness?" (April 11, 2011)http://www.babycenter.com/404_does-vitamin-b6-help-relieve-morning-sickness_2519.bc
- Clayton, Victoria. "Morning-sickness Remedies That Work." (April 10, 2011) FitPregnancy.com.http://www.fitpregnancy.com/yourpregnancy/food_nutrition/40730067.html
- Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography. "Lonicerus (Lonitzer), Adam." 2008. (April 8, 2011) Encyclopedia.com.http://www.encyclopedia.com.
- Jocoy, Sandy. "Vitamins B6 and B12 for Morning Sickness." Nov. 28, 2008. (April 11, 2011) RevolutionHealth.com.http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/pregnancy/forty-weeks/first-trimester/morning-sickness-vitamins
- Johnson, Melissa. "9 Foods that Help Relieve Nausea." (April 8, 2011) EverydayHealth.com.http://www.everydayhealth.com/photogallery/9-foods-that-help-relieve-nausea.aspx
- Kids Health. "Sleeping During Pregnancy." (April 8, 2011)http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/your_pregnancy/sleep_during_pregnancy.html#
- Leino, Lena. "Stop Morning Sickness with Your Thumb." (April 9, 2011) TheBabyCorner.com.http://www.thebabycorner.com/page/2402/
- McKelden, Shannon. "Ptyalism: Handling Excessive Saliva During Pregnancy." (April 12, 2011) PregnancyToday.com.http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/health-and-physical-changes/ptyalism-6136/
- Murkoff, Heidi. "Heightened Sense of Smell During Pregnancy." (April 9, 2011) WhatToExpect.com.http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/heightened-smell.aspx
- Sea-Band. "How Long do They Take to Work?" (April 12, 2011) Sea-Band.com.http://www.sea-band.com/faqs
- Sears, Martha. "Morning Sickness." (April 10, 2011) AskDrSears.com.http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/t010102.asp
- Sorgen, Carol. "Morning Sickness Misery." (April 8, 2011) WebMD.com.http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/morning-sickness-misery
- Stillerman, Elaine. "Prenatal Massage During the First Trimester." (April 10, 2011) MassageToday.com.http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=13354
- The Essential Guide to Acupuncture in Pregnancy and Childbirth. "Nausea During Pregnancy." (April 12, 2011) Rhizome.net.http://acupuncture.rhizome.net.nz/Nausea2.aspx
- Three Lollies. "Preggie Pops." (April 11, 2011)http://www.threelollies.com/AboutUs.aspx
- University of Maryland Medical Center. "Vitamin B6." (April 11, 2011) UMM.edu.http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b6-000337.htm
- WebMD. "The BRAT Diet." (April 11, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/brat-diet
HowStuffWorks takes a look at the fascinating case of a woman who experienced ectopic lactation after childbirth.